New to adoption?
Adoption is a way of providing new families for children who cannot be brought up by their birth parents. The adoptive parents take on the legal responsibility for the child, and the child becomes a full member of a new family, usually taking the new family name. Links with the birth family may be maintained.
- If you think you may be interested in adopting a child, come along and meet us at one of our monthly information sessions. Our events are a great way to find out more about adoption.
- Or please contact us at Devon Adoption, by calling 0345 155 1076 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We will answer your questions, provide you with written information about adoption and give you an opportunity to talk to a social worker about your own circumstances, interests and wishes.
- People adopt for all kinds of reasons – discover why you should adopt
- Devon Adoption is here to help every step of the way- find out what support is available
- Parents and children share their adoption experience. read family stories from Devon adopters
- Interested in adopting a child? Download an information pack.
Devon Adoption, part of Devon County Council, is an approved adoption agency and we have to go through a series of checks before you are approved. Once this is complete the search for your new child can begin.
If you decide that you would like to go ahead, you’ll be asked to complete a ‘Registration of Interest’ and formally submit it to us. If we think you are likely to be able to offer a home for the kinds of children needing adoption, then you will go through an assessment process.
We have met many people over the years who have wanted to adopt a child so we know how overwhelming the prospect might be. We are here to support you.