Where can I find out about pupil premiums for adopted children?

Posted on: 17 January 2014

Parents should contact schools direct or check the Department for Education website:

From April 2014, schools in England can receive the pupil premium for children adopted from care or who left care under a Special Guardianship Order (SGO) on or after 30 December 2005. Schools can also claim the pupil premium for children who left care under a Residence Order (RO) on or after 14 October 1991.

To claim the pupil premium for adopted children, and those who are the subject of a SGO and RO, parents will need to inform the school and provide supporting evidence, for example, the Adoption (Court) Order.

Eligible pupils should then be recorded in the January 2014 School Census under the new category ‘Adopted from Care’. The data collected will be used to calculate, alongside other data (eg, FSM Ever6), the 2014 to 2015 pupil premium allocations for schools.

Although changes to the pupil premium have been widely communicated, schools may wish to ensure their parents are aware of the changes, particularly as adoptive parents will need to self-declare that their child was adopted (or the subject of an SRO/RO) before 16 January 2014 when the school census must be completed. Schools should reassure parents that the information about their child will be treated in the strictest confidence.

Be the first to Comment

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments are held for moderation. House rules