Do you have a query about your birth history? Call 0345 155 1076 in the first instance.
Many adopted people decide, at some point in their lives, to find out more about the circumstances which led to their adoption and to seek information about their birth families.
If you have been adopted we can offer help and support
The Devon Adoption Team offers a counselling service to adults who were adopted and now want information about their birth history. If you are over 18 years of age and living in Devon, or if Devon holds your adoption records, you can contact us to get help accessing your records. We can also act as intermediaries between you and any birth relatives you want to contact. Please read the factsheets below.
4. Adult Adoption Counselling Service factsheet PDF download
Young person’s guide to adoption PDF download
Later Life letters
Where can I find out more?
Devon County Council has an Adult Adoption Counselling Service, call Devon Adoption in the first instance on 0345 155 1076.
At the age of 18, people who were adopted can legally apply to the get a copy of the original birth certificate by writing to:
- General Register Office, Adoptions Section Room C202, Smedley Hydro, Trafalgar Road Southport PR8 2HH.
- Tel: 0300 123 1837 Press Option 8
- http://www.gov.uk/adoption-records (the form you need to complete is called Access to Birth Certificate Information Before Adoption).
There is a national Adoption Contact Register, which helps to put adopted people and their birth family in contact with each other if this is what they both want.
- BAAF Adoption Search Reunion www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk
- Natural Parents Network (NPN) phone 0845 456 5031 or visit www.n-p-n.co.uk
- Post-Adoption Centre phone 0870 777 2197 or visit www.postadoptioncentre.org.uk
- The Independent Review Mechanism – can provide support if your application for information about your adoption is turned down.