We’re here to help every step of the way, from completing your application and matching you with a child, to contact with the birth family and support after adoption. We recognise that parenting adopted children is very challenging at times and we aim to provide services specifically to help you understand and meet your child’s needs. Read our Devon Adoption support factsheet for adoptive families:
1. Adoption support factsheet PDF download
Devon Adoption offers:
- A team of Adoption Social Workers who have specialist training in working with families with children who have experienced loss and trauma. These early experiences affect children in many different ways and we have experienced workers to help you talk through any difficulties. Most staff members have had additional training in Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy (DDP) – an effective approach to working with children with attachment difficulties developed in USA by Dr Dan Hughes.
- An Adoption Support Services Adviser is here to help you access adoption support and other specialist services, such as Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services. This includes NHS commissioned health services to meet the needs of adopted children. Contact Karen Collins on 0345 155 1076 or email her via firstname.lastname@example.org
- An adoption passport: a support guide for adopters.
- Advice and information about adoption issues that affect your child and your family and support to prevent the disruption of an adoption.
- Opportunities to meet with other adopters and their children at social or other events.
- Regular communications – we produce a newsletter twice a year with news about local services, information about training and events.
- Therapeutic services for adopted children including a monthly consultation Clinic run by The Consultancy and a fortnightly clinic run by Catchpoint. Other therapeutic services may be provided by Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) or private practitioners.
- Therapeutic parenting courses based on the DDP approach to parenting are co-led by us with clinical psychologists. Log into the Approved Adopters’ zone for details.
- We also provide Graduate Consultation groups for those who have completed the course with regular training up dates and a Preparation for Therapeutic Parenting Group for those waiting to go on a course to familiarise you with the approach.
- Parents of Teenagers group is being run by The Consultancy for parents with teenagers to focus on the challenges of adolescence.
- Respite care may be available to support your child if this is considered appropriate.
- Devon Annual Adoption Conference – your opportunity to hear a renowned international speaker talk about topical new developments in the adoption field.
- Links into other professional support both inside and outside of the service including specialist educational psychologists linked to our team, medical advisers, CAMHS and private therapists.
- Ongoing programme of workshops and training opportunities for adopters. Knowledge and information are key to help you develop your parenting skills and meet the needs of your child. We aim to keep you well informed so we organise events and additional training opportunities which include workshops and the Therapeutic Parenting courses. Log into the Approved Adopters’ zone for details.